ABOUT US

HISTORY OF COLLINS AND DARWELL

The Start - 1891...

Thomas William Collins (b.1867) a labourer’s son from Worcestershire, and William Darwell (b.1862) a gardener’s son from West Leigh meet when they have both finished their printers apprenticeships and are working for the Leigh Chronicle. They decide to go into business together in premises on the corner of Union Street and Lord Street.

 

Next Phase - 1902...

 

Collins and Darwell take out a 7 year lease on the former Offices & Warehouse of the Bond Street Brewery, in Hope Street, Leigh and the rooms adjoining the Crown Hotel opposite which were linked by an overhead walkway across the road, very convenient for transporting paper in wet weather.

 

Company Growth - 1907...

 

Collins and Darwell become a limited company, under the 1907 Limited Partnerships Act.

 

New Ownership - 1932...

 

Collins and Darwell decide to retire and sell the business. Sadly, William Darwell dies later that year whilst J. W. Collins retires to Evesham to live in the house he inherited from his father.

 

Consortium Buyout - 1948...

 

John Raymond ‘Jack’ Travers and nine other local businessmen buy the company.

 

The Travers Family Takeover- 1964...

 

John Raymond ‘Jack’ Travers buys out the last partner to become sole owner of what is now a family business.

 

Expansion - 1971...

 

‘Jack’ Travers buys the building next door and uses the old one as storage.

  • Facebook
  • Instagram
  • LinkedIn

01942 673166

2 Hope Street, Leigh,

United Kingdom WN7 1AJ

©2019 BY COLLINS & DARWELL

IMG_3914